Charlotte County Housing Division
The Housing Division administers the State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) program and other housing funding. Types of assistance include: purchase assistance; home repair; and rent/mortgage assistance to low-income households. Disaster assistance is administered, as warranted. We also support the development of affordable housing through incentives and subsidies administered through the Charlotte HOME program and conduct compliance monitoring on funded rental units. Staff serve as liaison to the Affordable Housing Advisory Committee (AHAC).
Individual Housing Assistance
- Purchase Assistance - applications are not being accepted at this time
- Home Repairs
- Emergency Repairs - (not hurricane-related)
- Rehabilitation - applications are not being accepted at this time
- Rent/Mortgage Assistance
- Disaster Recovery Assistance
- SHIP-DR Insurance Deductible Assistance - Program is closed. Processing approved applications for payment.
- SHIP disaster assistance is available for Hurricane Ian recovery. Applications are accepted at www.coadfl.org and appropriate candidates are referred for assistance.
- Other Human Services programs may also be able to provide disaster recovery assistance. Access to all disaster recovery assistance is through www.coadfl.org.
Rebuild Florida Hurricane Housing Replacement and Repair Program (HRRP)
FloridaCommerce has launched its Rebuild Florida Hurricane Ian Housing Repair and Replacement Program Assessment. With the HUD allocated funding, the Housing Repair and Replacement Program (HRRP) will assist and prioritize the most vulnerable homeowners and property owners impacted by Hurricane Ian through the repair, reconstruction, or replacement of their Ian-damaged homes, including mobile homes. At a minimum, 70 percent of program funds must meet the Low-to-Moderate Income National Objective, with the greatest prioritization for households with incomes less than 50 percent of Area Median Income.
Affordable Housing Development - Charlotte HOME
Charlotte HOME (Housing Opportunities Made Easier), an incentive program for affordable housing developers, was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) on July 28, 2020 to reduce barriers and attract developers of affordable housing to Charlotte County. Available incentives include (but are not limited to): expedited permitting; impact fee waiver; land donation; density; utility connection and other fee subsidies; etc. Applications for incentives are reviewed by a panel of representatives from: Community Development; Human Services/Housing; and Utilities. Incentives are determined on a tiered basis contingent upon the score achieved on the prioritization matrix. Tier II, III and IV applications require AHAC and BCC approval. The review committee can be reached at CharlotteHOME@charlottecountyfl.gov.
- Charlotte HOME Application
- SHIP Non-profit/Low-income/Special Needs Rental Rehabilitation Application
- Affordable Housing Prioritization Matrix
- Potential Incentive Award Criteria
Affordable Housing Advisory Committee
The Affordable Housing Advisory Committee (AHAC) is mandated by state statute and enforced within Charlotte County by Resolution 2008-070. Members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners (BCC). The AHAC meets bi-monthly to review housing policies and funding and make recommendations to the BCC. The Committee also approves the county’s Local Housing Assistance Plan (LHAP) every three years.
Affordable Housing in Charlotte County
The Charlotte County Housing Division is seeking licensed and insured contractors to work with the SHIP Housing Rehabilitation Program. Recruitment Notice
It is the policy of the County of Charlotte, in keeping with the laws of the United States, of America and the spirit of the Constitution of the State of Florida, to promote through fair, orderly and lawful procedure the opportunity for each person so desiring to obtain housing of such person's choice in this county, without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, familial status, handicap or age, and, to that end, to prohibit discrimination in housing by any person.
(Ord. No. 96-003, § 2, 2-6-96)
- Public Service Announcement
- Florida Landlord/Tenant Law
- To file a complaint of housing discrimination in Charlotte County, contact the Fair Housing Coordinator
- Local Housing Assistance Plan (LHAP)
- Income and Rent Limits for State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) program housing assistance
Colleen K. Turner, Senior Manager/SHIP Administrator
Rich Gromalski, Charlotte HOME Coordinator/Fair Housing Coordinator
21500 Gibralter Dr. Unit 1
Port Charlotte, FL 33952